Kansas Barber License Examination
BARBER PRACTICAL EXAMINATION INFORMATION:
LOCATION, DATE, TIME: TBD will update as soon as informaiton becomes available
To be eligible to take the Kansas barber license examination, an individual must be a graduate of a Kansas barber college that has been approved by this Board to provide barber training.
The application must be completed in its entirety. Any missing information will cause the application to be considered incomplete.
- If your Kansas barber license has been expired for more than three years, you MUST apply to re-examine.
- If you were/are licensed in another state that does not have the same or comparable requirements for licensure, you MUST apply to take the examination.
- If you have previously examined within the state of Kansas, but failed any portion of the examination, you MUST reapply to examine again.
Kansas Barber License Examination applications can be located under the Forms tab on our website.
Barber Examination Aids
In order to pass the Kansas Barber License Examination, a minimum score of 80% must be attained on each of the three portions of the exam.
The barber license examination consists of the following.
- Written NIC Barber Styling Theory exam. *NOTE: this portion of the examination is taken at a separate site on a separate day.
- Practical examination. This is performed on one live model for the first portion of the practical examination and either a live model or mannequin for the second half of the practical examination. It is the responsibility of the examinee to arrange for their own models.
- Kansas Rules and Regulations Examination (this examination will be taken on the same day as the practical examination)
Barber Practical Exmination Procedures and Kit list: Practical Examination Procedures and Kit List
Examinees are required to bring the tools and supplies listed in the Exam Kit List. All tools must be clean and disinfected prior to examination. All disposable items must be new. Information regarding directions and practical procedures to be posted on the back wall at time of practical examination.
NIC_Barber-Styling_Theory_CIB_ENG_Eff.-6.1.2018-v.3.1.20.f The NIC Barber Styling Theory written examination administered by SMT for the Kansas Barber License Examination is a 110 question, multiple-choice examination over all aspects of barber theory. This link to the Candidate Information Bulletin provides a summary of the various barber theory areas covered in the exam and provides a few sample questions. Reminder: The NIC written examination is a computer-based test (CBT) and when a student applies for examination, the Board will only pre-register that student for testing. Once a student is pre-registered, SMT will send an email to the student for the student to finalize their registration by selecting a time, date, and place for examination at one of the licensed testing facilities.
Barber Instructor Examination Aids
This is a temporary modification to the Instructor exam. An overall score of 75% minimum is required for passing. Please review the attached information regarding the materials needed to bring and have prepared for the exam.